Tuesday, October 2, 2012

COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS

In twenty days I will be having my weight loss surgery.  Sometimes I feel so elated that I am surprised to hear others on the forums expressing their fears.  I know it is going to be painful and hard while recovering and I know it is going to be life changing but I feel as if I am being given a second chance.

This made me laugh.
My husband and I talked about it the other night.  He has now had time to absorb the idea and do a little of his own research.  We talked about some of the restrictions - beyond the pre-op diet I am currently following - he was pouting a bit about my not having cocktails when we were out.  We talked about how some people go through weight loss surgery and then don't change their habits or pay attention to the restrictions, which confounds me.  He said that in the 30 years he's known me I am such a healthy eater that he didn't think I will have a problem. Isn't it nice that he sees me that way? 

Many people assume if you are really big, like me, you must eat entire pizzas or order for 2 in the drive-thru and then eat it all. I have never been able to eat a lot at a sitting. Buffets are wasted on me. Plus, I hate to feel full.  I know I eat more than I should - even healthy foods have calories and they can add up.  I snack and nibble too much between meals.  I go on the occasional candy or baked goods bender.  But my new "plumbing" will prefer small meals through the day and the candy or whatever simple carbs I might want will give me gastric distress.  Good incentive to avoid them!

The duodenal switch surgery is the best for long term "getting back to normal" eating.  From what I can tell, the amounts remain small for life, the need to fill protein needs and take vitamins are first priority and the rest is pretty individual.  Some people can't tolerate dairy, some can, same with sweets and alcohol.  Some people even say their taste buds are different.  Foods they loved  don't taste good anymore.  Interesting how tied in all of our organs are!

So, 20 days to go.  I am down 7 of the 20 the surgeon wants me to lose, but I admit I am going to take a few days off from the protein drinks this weekend while we go to Yosemite for our 28th anniversary!

1 comment:

  1. You have such a great attitude. You know that this will not be a quick or easy fix and that you will need to prepare accordingly and then eat well afterward. I can already imagine all the great activities you're going to be doing once you've recovered.

    ReplyDelete