Sunday, October 14, 2012

DOES FEAR HELP YOUR HEALTH?

After I wrote my last post I realized how much of my dietary habits have been born out of fear. 

I have the belief that " I choose" to order the salad instead of the pasta, I choose not to eat the bread. I choose the berries over the banana.  I choose no dessert. 

But when I read that I was happy that choosing to try the home made chips didn't trigger me to overeat. It hit me, am I making choices out of fear of getting "triggered" or slipping into bad habits?  It's not like I have ever been a big potato chip snacker.  How many other choices do I make because I am afraid? 

I turned down birthday cake at my own party because I had been sugar free for several months.  But really, that was fear. 

Does it matter why I am making the choices?  Is fear as good as any other motivation?

Is fear of getting fat or of triggering a binge or damaging health the way a lot of people stay healthy?

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I need to think about this further, because I believe I might be making similar choices out of fear too. You're right, we should choose to eat something because it's good for us and we'll feel good eating it, not because we're afraid of what would happen otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good observation, Susan. Even this far into maintenance, I sometimes catch myself making decisions based on what "might" happen.

    ReplyDelete