Wednesday, October 17, 2012

THE LAST CHEW

My dinner tonight will be the last one I chew - at least for a couple of weeks!  I am going to have salmon cooked on the grill and some zucchini.

Tomorrow I go off the 2 protein drinks and a "lean & green" meal to liquids only. The only positive thing I can say about this change is no more sweet flavored protein drinks.  I just don't care for sweet drinks and a month of them has been too much for me.

I took the opportunity to experiment with with different protein powder samples. Since protein supplements will be a lifelong commitment, I need to find what works for me. One I tried is "unflavored", though when I stirred it into V-8 it was pretty bad.  I can see stirring it into soup or yogurt or something already sort of thick.

Nector brand protein powders come in fruit flavors in addition to the usual chocolate/vanilla/strawberry. The grapefruit was actually quite good, tart and natural tasting.  I ordered a bunch of that. 

When I look at the choices I have for the next 5 days I realize how picky I am.  I am supposed to have sugar free jello for dinner, but I don't like most jello flavors.  I know I can flavor up the broths to make them interesting and palatable, but I can't choke down chamomile tea.  Yuck. 

The first couple of days I can have "drinkable yogurt." I have yet to find any fat free versions, so I may have to go a bit off plan and use the low fat version.  And, of all things, grape juice is the other allowed item.  That I can do, I remember having grape juice and Lorna Doone cookies in the hospital after giving birth and it tasted wonderful!

I am down 14 of the 20 they wanted off pre-op - so I am right on track at 5 pounds a week.  The last couple of days I have been hungry but before that I have sailed through.  Wish me luck for this liquid diet - a new experience for me...

1 comment:

  1. The problem I'm seeing with this eating plan is that it's hard to eat real foods with no additives. Luckily, it's mostly short-term.

    For the drinkable yogurt, try your local organic grocery store. I've had good luck with yogurt smoothie drinks there. They're more expensive, but for a short-term eating plan, it might be your best bet.

    ReplyDelete