Monday, January 21, 2013

LABS ARE BACK!

I got my labs back already and all but one thing is in the normal range. My potassium is very low and he doc has prescribed an additional supplement for me.

So what does it mean to have a potassium deficiency or Hypokalemia?  I looked it up:

 A medical condition in which our body fails to retain the amount of potassium required for its day-to-day functioning is called potassium deficiency or hypokalemia. This deficiency of potassium in body can be fatal considering it has a crucial role to play in various body functions - all of which are bound to be affected by the lack of this mineral in the body.

Fortunately my levels, while low, have not persisted long enough for me to have most of the possible symptoms or side-effects, which include:

  • Myalgia (muscle pain), muscular weakness and cramps.
  • Cardiac arrhythmia i.e. abnormal rate of muscle contractions in the heart.
  • Unexplained fatigue and weakness
  • Hyponatremia, which may or may not be accompanied by anxiety.
  • Impairs nerve transmission and deteriorated nervous system, which, in turn, results in confusion and delirium.
  • Skin related problems such as blistering, skin eruptions, dryness of skin, acne, etc.
  • Temporary memory loss or other problems like weak memory, difficulty in concentration, etc.
  • Sleeplessness and irritability
  • Intestinal or lung paralysis
  • Heart related problems, such as heart deterioration.
  • Increase the risk of high blood pressure
  • Ringing noise in the ear at times

I have had very dry skin since the surgery, other than that, some sleepless nights and irritability but nothing I haven't experienced before!  No unusual muscle pain but I do think I have been slow to recover from my new work-outs. I am off BP meds but my blood pressure is down to the high/normal range.  So this should protect my heart health, too.

 One of the great fears of making this great change to my physiology has been that I would loose not only weight but my health. I am thrilled that all the other areas tested were in normal ranges and that an additional supplement will help with this issue.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that your blood levels are almost normal. Potassium deficiency is no joke -- the symptoms can actually mimic those of a stroke. (One of my grandfathers had a persistent problem with this.)

    It's wonderful that you're doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news! I can tell when my potassium levels are low because I get leg cramps at night. Fortunately, it's so minor that I can fix it with a trip to the grocery store. :)

    ReplyDelete