Monday, January 28, 2013

3 MONTHS POST OP WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY

I finally hit the 3 months mark this week.  I don't know why it feels like such a milestone, but it does.  I guess it is the point where most post-op's feel more settled in, get the labs done and the mystery of how the body is handling things is illuminated.

I feel settled in some ways, but my bowels are still a daily question.  I have been trying to decide if I am lactose intolerant and can't determine an answer.  I have yet to determine the issues behind the days I am in the bathroom repeatedly vs. the more normal days.

I managed to eat two bites of beef stew meat* but then last night some roasted chicken upset my stomach.  I can only eat a couple of bites of egg and many foods still set off my gag reflex.  One day I can eat smoked salmon with a little cream cheese and the next day I can't.  I did have a couple of salads this week - it was so great to have that fresh, clean crunch again.  The salads may have been behind the gastric distress - but they were worth it! So each day is still an adventure.

The small amounts I can eat also pose issues.  I made a batch of "protein pancakes" on Sunday.  The entire  batch is a serving - 6 little pancakes.  I could eat 2.  So the breakfast I had hoped would be 19 grams of protein was only 6.

I finally got my special order potassium supplement from the pharmacy and started it on Friday.  It is just awful stuff.  "Fruit flavored" stuff to mix into water or whatever and it is sour and gross.  I experimented with adding it to different things this weekend with little success.  It is going to be a hard thing to take every single day...

But I am focused on the pleasures.  My grapefruit, more salads, a little pile of sunflower seeds I munch at my desk.  Not to mention that I am down 78 pounds.  My closet is pretty empty and I can't even believe the stuff in there fits me - it all looks so small!



* I make all kinds of things for my husband's dinner, including beef which is not yet advised post-op.  I tasted a couple of bites for tenderness...

1 comment:

  1. I would imagine that your body is just trying really hard to adjust to all the changes -- surgery, lots of lost weight, etc. -- and is having a hard time settling in.

    Since the potassium supplements are nasty, would it be possible for you to eat foods that are high in potassium or would it be too hard on your stomach at this point?

    ReplyDelete