Thursday, June 23, 2011

MY NEW CHALLENGE

I have been giving a lot of thought to making some changes to my diet.  Changes beyond the effort to lose weight.  I have been reading about how diet affects inflammation and since I have daily pain, discomfort and swelling from arthritis, it seems like a good idea to see if diet can help.  I take a lot of Advil, which is what I was told to do by the Physical Therapist, but it isn't working as well as it once did.

My understanding is that if this works for me, I will notice within a month so I am going to commit to a 6 week trial.  It will actually mean upping my carbs a bit and eating fish as my only meat protein.  I need to get focused on some bean recipes and it will take a lot of will power to up my veggies rather than eating too many whole grains - I do love my grains!

I have read conflicting opinions about dairy.  I think I will continue with the no-fat Greek yogurt and avoid anything else.  I am going to give soy beverages a try on my oatmeal.  I have also read conflicting things about tomatoes and potatoes -  I can't imagine giving up tomatoes (especially with all the basil growing in my yard!) so I will allow those and skip potatoes.

I am also going to track my meals and calories.  I have been given the challenge to write about my efforts - so this seems like the logical place.  So - that will be my focus over the next few weeks.

All that said, my research has also shown that the simple act of losing weight does a lot to relieve the symptoms of arthritis - especially in the areas where I have it - feet and knees.  So I am not unaware that the way I lose weight may not have any more impact than the simple fact of losing weight.  I am interested in pursuing a healthier approach, becoming more self-aware in my food choices and I hope that this experiment will be a good start to that goal.

3 comments:

  1. Way to go! Finding personal motivation is so helpful when trying to make a huge behavior change (I write from quality research and personal experience.)

    I understand some folks report decreased pain when they give up tomatoes, but they (tomatoes, not people) are so rich in lycopene - well, experiment on yourself. As for potatoes, all that starch has nothing to offer except carb calories. I support your choice.

    Tracking food has been shown to be helpful in maintenance and weight loss. It continues to help me eat mindfully. Even if I can't find the exact calorie count of something at least I am aware of what I put into my body.

    Dairy - I won't give up Greek yogurt either and can't find enough evidence to make me! It's also a way for me to get protein in rather than sugary carbs.

    This is becoming a tome... but as someone who suffered from chronic back, knee and foot pain from osteoarthritis, I can tell you that has completely resolved with my weight loss. Sure my finger joints still flare at times but not very often, which I attribute to eating a diet rich in anti-inflammatory foods. I do even better taking fish oil supplements but am off those until surgery heals up.

    We are the same age, have some of the same weight issues, and I have been a yo-yo'er for 30 years - if I can do it, so can you. Really.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! The great thing about your approach is that after your initial experiment, you can tinker. I have a friend who can't have tomatoes for some intestinal reason, but she found that a couple slices on a sandwich, or in a sauce, now and then didn't cause a problem. The same with potatoes or any other foods--you can figure out where your biggest benefits are, what you can allow in teensy amounts and what needs to be on the no-go list. Who knows, you may discover some new food-inflammation correlation and become incredibly rich and famous! Not to mention that whole helping future generations of arthritis sufferers. LOL

    Keep us posted!

    (For the record, I disagree with Jan on potatoes. They have iron and other cool things in them that are beneficial. But if they're causing problems--then they can be jettisoned in a heartbeat and replaced with something else.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Cammy didn't think I would follow-up? (JUST KIDDING!!)

    She's right. Taters with skins do have iron, Vitamin C, and minerals, but one has to weigh the benefits of a food with any downsides. At my age, I don't need any extra iron; I get Vit. C from fruits and supplements (cause I want a ton of C now for wound healing); and the starch load is just too much for me and my insulin response. (One of the more, um, interesting things I have done is to check my blood glucose after eating things like baked potato, oatmeal, "healthy cereal" - I get an amazing blast in my blood sugar, and I'm nowhere close to being diabetic based on other measures.) My sister, however, is a size 2-4 and eats primarily a grain and veggie-based diet that is heavy in carbs (including baked potatoes).

    Again I agree with Cammy that you can play around because diet is a very individual approach. Aren't bodies wonderful?

    Link for potato nutrition: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2770/2

    ReplyDelete