Friday, June 24, 2011

SOMETHING INTERESTING IS HAPPENING

I am at heart a nurturing person.  Becoming wife and mother of 3 made me hyper aware of the needs of those family members - not to the total loss of my own needs, but the awareness was/is always there.

Since I decided to start this dietary plan, I have been thinking about my meals first.  I have been searching recipes and meal plans and went shopping today for a few things, including something to make for my husband's dinner.  (I take my dinner to work with me 5 days a week and usually make something for him to eat at home.)

I cruised the aisles a bit looking for some new things to add to my pantry, I picked up his Diet Coke since it was on sale, got some veggies and thumped a few watermelons before I gave up and decided to pick one up elsewhere tomorrow, then I checked out.

It was while I was in line that I realized that I had picked up some ingredients for my meal - but nothing for him.  Wow.  I didn't even turn around and go back to find something for him - I figured he could make a sandwich or order in or eat some leftovers or something.

I went home, sauteed some mushrooms and garlic in a bit of olive oil, combined that with some brown rice from the frig and added a couple spoons of Tikka Masala sauce.  Packed that with a peach and a couple bottles of water and off to work I went.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! For you, that is. Hubby might have a different opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one way for him to learn to be completely supportive - eat like you or pay the consequences of fending for himself. Fortunately my spouse has been beyond supportive, but we made some major negotiations before embarking on this journey. (Her snacks on one side of the pantry, no candy in sight, etc.) Soon it was just easier for her to only eat snacks that I didn't care for then no snacks at all. Who says you can't teach an old horse new tricks ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My test for if I should do something (like cook dinner for my husband when I won't be home) is would he do it for me if the roles were reversed. If not, I don't usually do it.

    I like to be a nurturer but I have my limits!

    ReplyDelete