Wednesday, June 29, 2011

WEIL FOOD PYRAMID


I have been using the Dr. Weil Anti-Infammatory Food Pyramid as a guide for changing my diet.  I didn't manage to hit all the marks this week because this all requires a lot of planning and preparation. 

I can report that I only had 2 eggs, 1 serving of chicken and several servings of salmon.  I had 3 servings of whole wheat pasta, 2 servings of brown rice and, as I thought might be an issue, 6 pieces of whole wheat bread.   Now that I put the bread in the freezer, it will be easier to curb those grab and go visits to the bread drawer!

I bought soy milk but that was the extent of my soy so far, I'm working on it.  I am not a tofu fan but I am going to see if I can find ways to add it to my diet.  I was a bit over on the dairy protein and way under on the beans & legumes.  I am good on the fruits and veggies.

So the problem is that  it's more work to get the protein into the proper range.  I went to the library and got a couple of cookbooks, so I will start trying recipes, including some with tofu and many with beans.

I think the biggest change is that I am off sugar and that I have gone out twice and have been fine finding and making good choices.  Even at the fair on Monday I got a grilled fish taco on a corn tortilla.  I really prefer flour tortillas and use whole wheat at home, but I ate the corn tortilla and it was fine.  I asked for no sauce and some extra cabbage on the taco and they were very nice about it. 

I sniffed my son's garlic fries but didn't eat one.  I would have liked the frozen lemonade (it was hot!) but I brought a container of iced tea and stuck with that.  The next time we went out I had a blackened salmon sandwich on a whole wheat bun.  It was great though looking at the bun I am not sure it was really whole wheat - next time out  I'll try the "lettuce as bun" version!

So I made it through a week and now I am gearing up for the long run.

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't seen this pyramid, so thank you for sharing it!

    If I had to follow this way of eating, I would have a short pyramid since I don't like mushrooms or much in the way of seafood or fish.

    Still, success is in doing something healthy (and I have no idea if this is or isn't) "most" of the time. Looks like you've got that going really, really well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My tastes have been changing to the point where I like brown rice better than white and corn tortillas better than flour. I also like Greek yogurt and I used to hate ALL yogurt--I really think we can change our tastebuds.

    I get soy from fake ground beef--I get it at Trader Joe's--some weeks I actually eat totally vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete