Monday, June 13, 2011

A RECIPE TO SHARE

I have been stumbling along - some days on plan some days not so much.  I am in maintenance mode in that I am not gaining or losing weight - except that I need to lose about 75 pounds or so before I am actually, happily, in the position for maintenance!!

Anyway - with my schedule it has been important to have things I can make in advance to tuck into my bag for dinner at work.  I ran across a recipe for baked egg rolls and I thought it was a great way to get more veggies in and an easy, portable food for work.

I was showing my sister the recipe and then telling her all the changes I made to it.  She pointed out that I had changed the recipe completely - so I wrote down my version.

2 packs egg roll wrappers
1 package bagged coleslaw (the mix with carrots and red cabbage)
2 chicken breasts or other meat of your choice, minced small
1 bag or bunch fresh spinach
1 can water chestnuts, chopped
1 bunch green onions, sliced
2 or more cloves garlic
minced ginger
chopped cilantro, to taste
Sesame oil
Soy sauce

Heat a large, deep skillet or wok with a little bit of oil until hot.  Add the minced chicken and stir fry until no longer pink.  Add the minced garlic and ginger and about 3 T of soy sauce to chicken.  Then add chopped onions, water chestnuts, coleslaw and spinach.  Take off heat and mix together all the ingredients.  Add about 1 T sesame oil and cilantro if you like.



Let this mixture cool, stir it around to keep it from wilting too much.  Get a little bowl of water ready and take the wrappers out of the package.  The package has directions on how to fold and roll the egg rolls using a bit of water on the edge to help seal the little packet.  I use a serving spoon to scoop up about 1/4 cup of the mixture for each egg roll.






Roll up according to the directions and [place on a baking sheet which has been sprayed with vegetable or olive oil.  Roll them around so they are coated with he oil, or spray the tops before baking.  Leave room between each roll for the air to circulate while baking.

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, turn each roll over and bake for another 5-10 minutes until the rolls are turning a bit brown and crispy.  Cool on wire racks and then put in airtight containers in the frig.  They can also be frozen.  I like them cold from the frig, but they are also very good when crisped up in a toaster oven.  They can get a bit dry after a few days - so you may want to try them with the dipping sauce of your choice.
The way I make them I calculated the calorie count at about 93 calories each.

Of course this is the perfect kind of recipe to tweak and make your own with your favorite ingredients.  The original recipe called for shrimp and Oyster Sauce  - it was too fishy for me so I started experimenting. 

Let me know if you come up with an interesting version!



2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, this has Mexican fusion possibilities! :) Thanks for the recipe. I've used wonton wrappers before, but not the egg roll wrappers. Must try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a recipe from 3fatchicks that is slaw mix and ground chicken or beef and sesame oil and soy sauce. Quite yummy and I did the math for the chicken version and quite low cal and filling.

    ReplyDelete