Monday, July 22, 2013

9 MONTH "SURGAVERSARY"

Today it is 9 months since I had my BPD-DS weight loss surgery.  I have lost 126 pounds and am 4 pounds from my original goal.  I think back to the day I went to Mexico and remember being excited - not nervous at all.  I was sure this was the right thing to do then and so grateful that I had the opportunity to have it done. (Thanks Christina.)

Tom and I went for a bike ride last Sunday and as we were leaving a neighbor I don't often see came over and asked if I was "disappearing". Like many others she asked how I was doing it and I said diet and exercise.  I feel right saying that - I am dieting and exercising.  The surgery was a tool.  My tiny stomach makes me eat less and I am very careful about what I eat.  I am more open with some people about the procedure and answer direct questions more factually - but for most people I simply say I don't eat much and that is the truth.
I occasionally want to say something to obese women I see, especially the ones out and about with their kids.  This has been such a liberation for me and I wish I could confer it on others.  I don't say anything to these women but I wish I could find a way to let them know the value of this, and if their insurance would cover it (unlike mine) urge them to consider it.  I wish I had been able to have it done years ago.

It is not easy.  There is no easy.  But as difficult as things are sometimes and as restrictive as my diet can be, I am so happy that I had the surgery.


No comments:

Post a Comment