Tuesday, July 2, 2013

8 MONTHS POST BPD-DS WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY

I am just past the 8 month mark following my surgery.  I have lost 120 pounds.  I bought a size 12 Land's End dress last week.  I haven't worn a 12 in over 20 years!

I am fairly settled in to my routine.  I gave a good system for keeping track of my vitamins and supplements.  I get all of them in pretty much every day. 

I also have a good routine for my protein requirements.  I have a small breakfast before work, usually something added to Greek Yogurt (5-10 g).  Then on the drive to work I get a protein drink started and finish it at my desk (30g). I munch on a protein bar during the morning (20-30g).  I am especially happy I found Quest Bars because they have such a great variety of flavors. (I am so very sick of fake chocolate and peanut butter flavored stuff.)

Lunch can be a challenge because I am usually pretty full from the drink and bar; so I have something small like some almonds and cheese or leftovers (5-10g).  Then another snack at my desk later in the afternoon, like protein chips, sunflower seeds or more nuts (5-12g). 

Dinner varies a lot.  If my protein is on the high side I relax and don't worry about stuffing something down.  Today I needed another boost so I made my taco salad mostly  ground beef beans and avocado. I'll probably have another protein bar or drink this evening to get to my 90 grams of protein.

I do find that the evening is hard for me, my stomach is much more fussy at the end of the day so I find I graze a bit in order to find what feels right going down. Also I notice by evening, my stomach will not tolerate a lot of food.  We went out the other night and all I could eat was  3 shrimp.  Then I  waited a couple of hours and had 2 more from my "doggie bag."

My family is concerned that I am not eating veggies and fruits - I do eat a few bites of salad greens, broccoli, spinach or other veggies most days.  I indulge my love of fruit more often eating berries and grapefruit every day.  This week I have had some watermelon and peaches, too.

Sometimes I wonder if I will be able to keep up with the protein requirements in the long haul - I hope that my stomach capacity will grow so I can get more of my protein from food rather than supplemental drinks and bars.  For the time being I am very mindful and just do what it takes!

1 comment:

  1. I noticed the lack of fruits and vegetables too. Under ordinary circumstances, that would worry me, but I know that you've researched all this thoroughly and that you know what you're doing.

    Congratulations on hitting the eight month mark and making such excellent progress in being as healthy as you can be.

    ReplyDelete