Saturday, July 13, 2013

A BARIATRIC SURGEON SPEAKS OUT - NOT THE EASY WAY OUT

I just read this great article written by a Bariatric Surgeon.  He is tired of people commenting about his profession - that he is an "enabler" for lazy, unmotivated fat people taking the "easy way" out of obesity.

He lists not only the difficulties of losing weight and maintaining that loss, the hoops people have to jump through to even get surgery and the fact that the AMA this year has declared obesity a disease and not just the cause of other diseases.

As a life long exerciser, a healthy eater and someone with knowledge of nutrition and of my own psychological issues - I can attest that it is not just a matter of eating less and exercising more.  Yes, for many people there is an issue with eating poorly and not exercising.  For many more of us it is far beyond that simple formula.  No one can really explain all the factors involved but the medical researchers are gaining awareness of the multiplicity of factors which affect different people.

Just as some people can smoke cigarettes all their lives and not get lung cancer, some people live long lives on a high fat diet and others drop dead in their 30's following a spartan diet and running marathons.  None of it is simple.

I had wanted to try weight loss surgery for over 10 years before I was given the opportunity.  As soon as I was aware of the Duodenal Switch I knew it was the solution for me.  I have never been a volume eater.  I have generally been a healthy eater - yes I have binged like pretty much anyone, for the most part I have been eating a high protein, low carb diet for 15 years so I knew I could maintain the dietary requirements.  When people "fail" following weight loss surgery and gain weight, it is probably because they didn't learn enough or know themselves well enough to commit to what it takes to be successful.

The surgery is a tool, not the final solution to the problem.  After all, we still have to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment