Friday, January 21, 2011

WEIGHT GOES DOWN - SIZE GOES UP

While shopping for a home staging client, I fell prey to one of the dangers of being in Marshall's, Ross and other discount stores - I shopped for myself.  I flipped through the 2 racks of Plus Sized clothes (always the smallest and saddest section of these stores) and came up with 3 tops to try on. 
That day I was wearing one of my old favorite shirts - a pin tucked denim shirt with a v-neck.  It is comfy but it really is too big on me now, I was even wearing a t-shirt under it.  It is a size 2X from Woman Within.   The tops I was going to try on were knits and by eye I could tell I needed to try them in 3X. 

Not one of those shirts fit.  They were too tight, and not just at the hip, where I know I am larger than the average woman.  (I have always had an "hourglass" figure - not busty but I have always had a small waist except now I carry more weight on my stomach and so the hip/stomach area is my hard to fit part.)

I wasn't looking for anything special, no occasion coming up demanding new clothes or anything.  But I must admit to some chagrin that I have lost over 50 pounds and I can't fit into a size LARGER than the one I am wearing!

When I was a young woman, there were no size 0 or 1 clothes.  I wore a beautiful size 12 dress to my Senior Ball.  I still have it.  My mom and sisters have borrowed it over the years because it is such a classic style.  When my daughter needed a dress for an event and we didn't really want to spend money on yet another dress, I suggested she try it on just to see if she liked it enough to wear it.

At that time she was a serious athlete, very strong and fit and she wore size 8 clothes.  She tried on my dress and it was too small.  I was dumbfounded.   It was my first introduction to how much manufacturers have changed the sizes over the years - vanity sizing they call it.

So my question is - if most women's sizes are cut bigger than they used to be...why are plus sizes being cut smaller?  I know there are inconsistencies between designers and fabric types and all that, but has anyone else experienced this?

9 comments:

  1. Clothing sizes are ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found, overall, that clothing sizes have been steadily less consistent over the years. Vanity sizes is one thing but I do think the fact that nearly everything is made overseas maybe contributes. Maybe they're using different sewing models? Shoes too. Sometimes I wear 7 other shoes I need 8.5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I wanted to add I am now depressed. If yesterday's size 12 is really a size 6 .. what does that say about the size 14 I'm wearing today?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've fallen victim to vanity sizing too - especially in the more expensive brands. Deep down inside, I guess I've always know it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, clothing sizes are ridiculous and completely inconsistent from company to company. Depending on the maker, I am any one of three different sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's why I like to stick to certain brands--I know what I wear. At Target or Kohl's I wear a large top, but if I were to go to Ross or Marshall's most things would be an XL--I'm assuming because they were originally higher end than the Target stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know its crazy - right now I have three pair of khaki pants - one size 8, one size 12 and one size 14, and they all fit exactly the same - crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with everyone that clothing sizes are out of whack. So, I just decide that sizes are similar to the scale and are just another measure of how I am doing. If one cannot get a true assessment of body fat, then measuring one's self is probably the most accurate reflection of outcome, besides behavioral ones.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank goodness someone else has this problem! I thought it was just me! I very rarely find clothes that fit in Ross' or TJ Maxx. I shop J Jill, I am never disappointed but it would feel ever so good to go into any store and find clothes that are fashionable and fit.

    ReplyDelete