Wednesday, January 5, 2011

WALKING IS RESOLUTION ONE

One of the things I plan to do this year is to walk more.  I did the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer many years ago and although I found walking the very long distances pretty boring, the walking itself was really good for me.  I did the 60 plus mile walk in 2 days with no more damage than some blisters and blackened toe nails!

I wish I had the wonderful trail system my sisters have where they live, or a waterfront walk like Cammy enjoys.  A short drive takes me to a few parks to avoid the tedium of suburban neighborhoods - so I shouldn't bemoan what I don't have and enjoy the fact that there is not snow on the ground here!

I pulled out my pedometer today to start counting my steps toward the recommended 10,000 per day - but the battery is dead!

I am walking out the door to buy batteries right now...

4 comments:

  1. Good for you! And I loved that last line:) I am not much of a walker ever since my feet started acting up on my about 7 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it makes you feel any better, I only walk the riverfront about once a year. :) I do have a plethora of local walking paths, though, and a nice neighborhood for walking. After reading your post, I see Ive been taking them for granted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love walking, so it makes me happy that you're getting back into it too.

    Do you have an iPod or some form of music you can listen to while you walk? The upbeat tempo might help with your speed, plus keep you from getting bored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have decided I can't just do one thing, so biking, hiking and kayaking are my new routine. Only hiking is often walking with friends.

    One thing that has really helped me is that instead of planning coffee with friends I ask them to join me on an outdoor activity--you save the calories, burn some AND get to catch up.

    ReplyDelete