Wednesday, April 10, 2013

SHOPPING FOR THE SMALLER ME


"My clothes were hanging off me, but clothes shopping was overwhelming now. How was I supposed to go into a store with four stories full of clothing that I could fit into? All my previous shopping experiences had taken place within in the confines of a 16-by-16 foot store with limited selection."

I ran across that quote from a woman who had weight loss surgery and has written a book about it.  I wish I had kept the link along with the quote - because now I can't find it.  Anyhow - I totally relate.

I have always loved clothes and have complained for years that the designers and stores must hate us fat people because if there is an ugly fabric to be found - that is what they make our clothes with.  And the embellishments!  They stick rhinestones and puffy paint and all kinds of crap on the awful printed shirts.  The theory being it takes attention away from the size?  Big + shiny is not a good combination, in my opinion.

Then I got too fat to buy clothes in the stores and had to resort to online shopping.  You would think getting too big for Lane Bryant might curb one's appetite - but it didn't. At least there was more variety to be found and I could sort through the dozens of websites and find simple, classic clothing.  Sometimes the clothes arrived and the fabrics were terrible.  (I had a couple of shirts that felt like paper products.)  I had to learn which brands had consistent sizing and put up with shipping and return costs, but all in all I have maintained a decent wardrobe. 

I have always been complimented on my style and appearance;  told repeatedly that I don't "look that big" which I always attributed to my careful wardrobe.  I wouldn't wear things when they got too tight and the online clothes were inexpensive enough for me to update frequently. 

Now I am in a position to change things up a lot.  I still have about 25 pounds to my goal weight and I will continue to have major problem areas which will need camouflage.  When I went out to "real" stores a couple of weeks ago I was overwhelmed by the selection and prices and unhappy to find that most of the clothes were too small, still.  Sizing has gone nuts in the last 20 years!

I did find a few things to buy and reverted right back to my "preppy" style.  For instance, today (it is 80 flippin' degrees here)  I am wearing navy capri's and flats and an orange and white striped boatneck tee.  Yesterday I wore black pants, a black and white stripped tee, a black cardigan and black & white flats.  I bought 4 classic cotton shirts in blue, red & white stripe, white and yellow.

I am now in the smallest size offered in my favorite online store, and the prices are so much less than in the mall, so I am ordering a bunch of tee shirts to wear with cardigans and capri's to get through the Spring and then take another foray into the mall.

My sisters sigh over the fact that I wear red and black and the occasional other color - and I always have. I felt a little defensive when I was showing off my new outfits because I feel like I have other colors, too - but they are right.  I wear classic styles and classic colors for the most part and will likely stick with them for my new wardrobe.

Do you have your signature style?  Or do you mix it up and follow trends?


5 comments:

  1. The quotation is from "Stranger Here: How Weight Loss Surgery Transformed My Body and Messed With My Head" by Jen Larsen. I *just* finished reading it yesterday and the quotation you shared stuck in my mind.

    When I started losing weight, I found dressing myself to be a challenge too. And, like you, a lot of my wardrobe is temporary until I hit my goal weight.

    I stick with a simple color palette and wear classic, preppy clothes. It's easier and, I think, more chic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this brings back memories of my first foray into Misses sizes a few years ago. I was so overwhelmed! Besides having too much to choose from, nothing fit right. Or so I thought. I finally figured it out...and then my job quit me, and I didn't need so many clothes. :) These days, I mostly wear workout clothes. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stranger Here is the title/Jen Larsen is the author.

    I learned from my writing students at St. Leo how to find ANYTHING on the internet.
    And have fun shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooops. Should have read all of the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so enjoying sweaters, and belts!!! I won't buy any pants that don't close with some kind of button or clasp... no elastic waist pants!! no hoodies or sweatshirts. I TRY and stay away from stripes (they were all I wore when I was big.... memories)

    ReplyDelete