Tuesday, October 11, 2011

CONSISTENTLY INCONSISTENT

In the past few months I have not been able to figure out why I have been so inconsistent in so many areas of my life - but mostly in the diet and exercise department.

I have tried a few different approaches.  I have tried to get to the bottom of my feelings or fears or whatever emotional roadblock might be in place.  I have paid attention to my hunger.  I have eaten intuitively...boy that was a mistake - my intuition is heavily into Haagen Daz!*   I discovered a new, fabulous line of whole grain breads and feasted on several loaves of them.  I went for several days eating only fruit, veggies and a protein drink.  That went well and I don't even know why I stopped doing that.

I am at the point now that my work clothes don't fit.  I had to order a couple of shirts to wear out and about because most of my remaining clothes are too tight.  Somehow the "shame" of that hasn't even motivated me.

Neither has being the one to pay $100.00 a month for my gym membership gotten me to the gym more frequently. 

One of the reasons I stopped posting is because I feel so foolish when I look back at my ever so hopeful new plans which have not lasted.

The thing is that I don't know what the heck is going on with me and why I am allowing all the hard work of 2010 to be lost.  I just know I have to turn this corner somehow.  I want my integrity back.  I want to do what I say I will do.



*  I know that is not actually the way intuitive eating works - I was joking...

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Susan, I'm sorry you're struggling!

    When I find myself not living up to plans and feeling that ugly (and totally incorrect) 'shame' word creeping into my thoughts, I know it's time to drop the plan and simply focus on today. I just have to eat healthy(-ish) & get my exercise in for One Day. Would that work for you, do you think?

    Let me know if there's anything I can do that might actually prove helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually always thought I'd be just the same with intuitive eating! My body would tell me "bread!" How can I help? I'm here to root you on or to give you a kick in the butt if either would do anything for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly don't know what to tell you, so I'll just say that I'm thinking about you and hope that you can turn the corner on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've taken a while to reply because this is so personal. For me, getting on track and staying takes a combination of internal motivation and a few days of abstinence from whatever pushes my "EAT!" button. I find that the best way to get (re)motivated is to make a list of why I want to change my eating - or whatever behavior - and why I want to not change. I keep it nearby, add to it, mark things off. Amazing how that little activity can make my adult brain garner up MY PERSONAL motivation. Then I remember and do all the things I need to be doing to help me stay on track - get support, track food, etc. Finally, I commit to X number of days of staying away from triggering foods. For me that has meant never having ice cream (no biggie now) and completely cutting out sugars, although now I allow myself occasional dark chocolate or a mocha coffee.

    It's so individual how to break out of these horrid doldrums (mine have lasted for years). The one most helpful behavior has been to blog as a form of reaching out and keep me going, even when I don't want to.

    I'm here if you want to talk/write.
    Jan (sskarmar2010 at hotmail dot com)

    ReplyDelete