Thursday, July 21, 2011

A RARE EMPATHY

Then I realized that, for the first time, I got it. I truly understood the power food holds over anyone who's struggled with it. For me, the eating had felt so unimaginably good. It had felt like a warm blanket of comfort during 9 months of discomfort. It was what had kept me going as I deprived myself of every other vice that pregnancy refused me.

The quote above was lifted from a story on Jezabel, written by a pregnant woman.. Interesting that so few women who go through this remember that feeling and have the empathy to connect it with the feelings those of us who struggle with weight (while not pregnant!) might go through.

I am especially glad that she didn't end the story with how fast she worked off the pregnancy weight!

3 comments:

  1. No, we don't need to know that 2 months later she was in her bikini. We'll just thank her for her moment of connectivity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a girlfriend that has never experienced hunger--ever. She loves food and is an amazing cook, but it's very easy for her to have just a taste--because that's the only reason she's eating.

    She's a lucky (and thin) gal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can certainly relate. Food is comfort on many levels.

    ReplyDelete